Welcome to the Wisconsin Land Information Officers Network
Land Information Officers Network was founded in 1999 as an organization with the following objectives and goals:
- To promote an understanding of the Wisconsin Land Information Program and county land information programs.
- To assist in developing successful county Land Information Offices by promoting professional practice, best practices, and communication.
- To encourage and support educational programs for its members.
- To promote a better understanding and appreciation of how land information officers serve the public interests.
Land Information Plans
In order to participate in the Wisconsin Land Information Program, each county must maintain an approved plan for land information modernization that outlines goals, progress and planned and completed activities.
Nature of the Office
16.967 (7) County Duties
Establish a land information office (LIO). The LIO shall:
- Coordinate land information projects
- Prepare and maintain a plan for land records modernization
- Review and recommend projects (grants) for local governments
A key study by the Wisconsin Department of Administration in 1976 known as the "Larsen Report" identified land records data collection and management as a multi-million dollar activity that begins at the local government level. In an effort to improve the condition and access to this information, and to reduce duplicative efforts, the state established the Wisconsin Land Information Program in 1989.
Today's efforts to modernize Wisconsin land information, improve its quality, and make it broadly accessible are coordinated and facilitated through county Land Information Offices. As part of the Wisconsin Land Information Program, each county has a designated Land Information Office, Land Information Officer, and a Land Information Plan that guides local activities. While each county office may be organized somewhat differently from county to county, all LIOs can be counted on to serve as point of beginning to help find the appropriate county land-related office or service.
- 6/17/2016 - New State GIO Announced
- 6/1/2017 - 2017 Spring Meeting agenda & GIS Repository posted
- 11/1/2017 - 2017 Minutes and Agendas Posted
- Wisconsin Land Information Association
- Wisconsin State Cartographer's Office
- Wisconsin Society of Land Surveyors
- Wisconsin Register of Deeds Association
- Wisconsin Real Property Listers Association
- Wisconsin Land Information Program (WLIP)
- Land Information Plans
- 2015 DRAFT County Land Info Plan Instructions
- 2010 Plan Reviewer Instructions
- 2010 Plan Review Form
- 2010 Plan Review Assignments
- 2010 Plan Instructions